Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Zan On Tour: Reflections from the End of An Adventure

As I sit in the baggage claim area of JFK, I feel a little like the geek in the 2003 version of the Italian Job. I have my laptop out and I'm stealing internet from JetBlue in a vague attempt to do a little work during the layover I have between flights back to Manchester. I feel pretty cool, except for the waves of travel sickness I keep experiencing in between pangs of hunger. Bah. I'll distract myself with some blogging.

I'm on my way home. It is, as per usual, a long trip taking over 24 hours of my time, flying through space and time. Usually, I feel quite sad about going home because there's usually unfinished work here, but this time I feel a little different. I feel like I have really achieved something. I feel like I've conquered huge chunks of the USA (see here, here and here) but I've also overcome my fears of driving on the wrong side of the car, on the wrong side of the road. I've also beat a tiny confidence battle: I can do whatever I set my mind to, and I can do it in a country that is not my own. Although the not-quite-5"2 stature of my being hasn't really changed, I feel like I have grown. And now I'm ready to go back to the UK to put these improved skills into practice. Apart from the car driving thing: I have to re-learn how to drive on the correct side.

Travelling home this time, I feel more confident in my skills as a playworker advocating in play wherever I go. I feel more secure in my representation of Pop-Up Adventure Play, and I know understand and appreciate just how wonderful my job is. I love what I do, and I love that Morgan, Anna and I have worked so hard to develop this flexible model of work that means we can work all over the world from the comfort of our own computers. There's definitely a rush of feelings happening somewhere. Maybe it's travel sickness again? Or hunger. Haha.

Anyway, I should move on from the spot I've camped at before someone starts eyeing me up as left luggage. I'll leave you with my last selfie of this trip, and I will blog again when I get back to the UK.

Happy Zan with happy skies.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to have you back and can't wait to hear your stories. Well done you. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)